So, I was watching Full House last night (yes, I stand by that statement… you know you love it too) and it was the episode where DJ, Stephanie and Michelle come home from summer camp. The family is bummed because the girls loved camp so much and didn’t seem to miss them. Cue sappy instrumental music as they have a chat about how much they love each other and all is well by the end of thirty minutes. Don’t you wish all problems could be resolved that quickly and easily? Even better, it would be amazing if all problems could end with Joey sitting on a plate of s’mores. A classic tension reliever!
Anyways, it got me thinking about summer camp. When we were younger it was this magical place where everything was fun, food that looked terrible actually tasted good, and you got to “flirt” with boys without your parents around. What could be better?! Then we grow up, and along with many other fun things, camp seems to become a thing of the past. Well, we’re here to tell you that it doesn’t have to stay in the past!
Camp weddings are THE hot new trend! Imagine spending the weekend with all of your friends and family at a camp. Even this glam girl can admit that that sounds fabulous! While all camp venues have different policies, here are some of the pluses and minuses if you’re considering such an event:
1) A camp provides a more intimate setting and often limits outsiders encroaching on your big day. Literally the only people around are the ones you invited, how nice is that?! While Boston weddings are FAB, I speak from experience when I say that it wasn’t that cool having strangers taking photos of us as our pro photographer tried to get shots in the public garden. Back off people!
2) It’s unique! This is a new, new trend, so most of your guests won’t have seen anything like it. We’ve all been to a hotel ballroom wedding and there’s nothing wrong with them AT ALL, but it is nice to mix it up a little!
3) Most camp locations allow you to rent the space for the entire weekend. More time with your guests is never a bad thing!
4) You can do your own thing! Forget those standard linens, forgo those over used chairs, and get exactly what you want!
1) You can do your own thing! I know I said that that was a plus BUT it could also count as a minus, depending on your level of interest in DIY. Most camps provide next to nothing, so prepare to really do it all (real life example: one of our fave brides just had a camp wedding – shout out to the inspiration for the blog, Laura D! – and she and her mother got there days early to make all 170 beds for the guests, now that’s dedication!).
2) SOME vendors don’t want to go all the way out to a more remote location. The great ones will though, so this actually might help you weed through the pack!
3) Weather is a true issue. While most city and suburban venues have created a pretty great back up plan, the alternative may not be as chic at a camp.
Again, we can’t stress enough that all venues are different, so take these pluses and minuses with a grain of salt (and some tequila to go with it). Whether you decide on a camp setting or not, enjoy every minute of your planning and we can’t wait for you to tell us all about it!
<Cue Full House credit music>
We really wrote this blog in honor of one of our favorite weddings we got to work on….our very good friend Laura! Below is all the fabulous-ness from her wedding!
Laura’s Wedding Photo Blog courtesy of the talented Leah Haydock Photography!
Videography By: Folster Video